Newcastle manager Steve Bruce hopes to have forward Allan Saint-Maximin back from a hamstring injury for the trip to Stamford Bridge.
Defender Fabian Schar is back in training and is closing in on a return, along with Jonjo Shelvey, but Paul Dummett and Dwight Gayle will be sidelined after suffering hamstring problems of their own at Wolves.
SkySport Revealing that scans had not yielded good news, Bruce said: “‘Dummy’s’ looks a particularly nasty one and Dwight, we think, is a normal bog-standard one, between four weeks and six weeks, so it’s not great news.”
Frank Lampard has no new injury concerns. Marcos Alonso is back in contention after recovering from a thigh injury, but Christian Pulisic is still absent.
- Newcastle have taken just four points from their last eight Premier League games against Chelsea (W1 D1 L6), losing each of their last three meetings in a row.
- Chelsea are looking to record consecutive away Premier League wins against Newcastle United for the first time since winning 2-0 in both 2007-08 and 2008-09.
- Chelsea have only beaten Tottenham Hotspur (29 wins) more often in the Premier League than they have Newcastle United (25 wins).
- Newcastle have lost their last two Premier League home games, conceding as many goals in those defeats as they had in their previous seven combined at St James’ Park (5).
- Despite having the joint-second highest points tally away from home in the Premier League this season (22), Chelsea have kept just one clean sheet on the road this term, conceding 19 goals in their 11 games.
- Four different English players have scored a combined 20 Premier League goals for Chelsea this season, the most on both counts in a season for the Blues since 2012-13 (5 players scoring 23 goals).
Charlie’s prediction on the game
I have never seen injuries like it at Newcastle. It may have been Rochdale but Steve Bruce wanted his side to get through.
He is not particularly fighting a relegation battle but how things could materialise could mean that they end up doing so. There is still a lot of work to done.
Newcastle are sitting on 26 points and may need 40 to survive – we are looking at around four wins and two draws. They may have to play this like an away game.
The fans will not like it but they are down to the bare bones. Chelsea are strong away from home and can hit on the counter-attack if Newcastle leave that option open.
Chelsea will want to keep the gap to Wolves, Manchester United, Sheffield United, Tottenham and Arsenal. They will not want to go too inconsistent, as they will be concerned again.
Turn up all to observe the outcomes between the two strong premier league sides.